Oct 5, 2014

Day 5 Biblical Womanhood "Different Kinds of Love"

Today I want to  go back to 1 Cor 13 and look at the word love.

 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And if I shall dole out all my goods in food, and if I deliver up my body that I may be burned, but have not love, I profit nothing.

(1Cor 13:1-3)

 Love
The ancient Greeks had four different words we translate love.  It is important to understand the difference between the words, and why the apostle Paul chose the Greek word Agape here.

 1. Eros was one word for love.  It described, as we might guess from the word itself, erotic love.  It refers to sexual love.

2. Storge was the second word for love.  It refers to family love, the kind of love there is between a parent and child, or between family members in general.

3. Philia is the third word for love.  It speaks of a brotherly friendship and affection.  It is the love of deep friendship and partnership.  It might be described as the highest love of which man, without God’s help, is capable of.

4. Agape is the fourth word for love.  It is a love that loves without changing.  It is a self-giving love that gives without demanding or expecting re-payment.  It is love so great that it can be given to the unlovable or unappealing.  It is love that loves even when it is rejected.  Agape love gives and loves because it wants to; it does not demand or expect repayment from the love given.  It gives because it loves, it does not love in order to receive. The word has little to do with emotion; it has much to do with self-denial for the sake of another. It is Unconditional.

This is the kind of Love that we have to let God do through us. It is a fruit of the Spirit.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, fidelity, meekness, self-control: against such things there is no law.
(Gal 5:22-23)
Can you think of some ways to show your Husband Agape Love?
Join me again tomorrow as we explore some ways we can show our husbands Agape love.



No comments: